View Single Post
      11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

OK, I do not have pics..but will try this with words. The above post is correct re: a flat topped jack and jack stands. There are lots of good stands around, but if they do not have a flat top then you risk the damage. I personally popped for the pricier ESCO tripod style, with those great flat rubber insert top. No Y tops this time for me. Yup, someone will say there are cheaper versions, but I do not regret I have but one life to donate to this car--and liked the peace of mind. If you can afford the car, you afford good equipment.

I use the Sears larger aluminum jack with again the flat top rubber insert. It is their lowest and strongest model..and slips under the both ends of car.
I jack the rear from dead center at the point where the two bars come together at the diff...NOT on the diff as you did with your Mustang. Once up, then I center the jack stands under the rubber blocks and lower carefully down.

For the front, and if car is going four corners up, I used to place a large, 2X8 square section of wood JUST forward of the front rubber blocks. This is safe and wood dispurses the weight. Once up high enough, I insert the flat top jack under the rubber block. I now go in from the front dead center, place jack under the front cross beam, lift and place stands under front rubber blocks and lower down. This is a bit faster, in that you are not jacking the front one side at a time...and personally prefer coming in from front as I do not like the car "skewed" on 3 stands while I rush to get the 4th in place on the other side. Make sense?...so from the front is quick, safe and easy. BUT the wood will work if its just forward of the rubber blocks.

Most "Y" stands are not made for the blocks; and your inserts are also made for flat top jacks. Not sure why they are not working etc. I personally made my own out of oak...and they work great, but now do not even use them, since getting the better stands.

Sorry no pics..but MAYbe this helped someone a bit...PM me if you wish any further info. Bests all...and good luck. My counsel, is do it right or don't do it. I have a friend who lost his son under an improperly jacked up British sports car...not a good when he was discovered. Make sure things are proper, sound and solid...your life or the car depends upon not taking short cuts.
Appreciate 0