Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
My stands have rubber inserts and have not damaged the jack points. I also turn mine the other way around to how your photo shows
what are these rubber inserts? do you have the Y shaped jack stands?

Did a quick google search.. something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_14656.jpg

does the plastic bend/get damaged once the cars weight is on the jack stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
The above post is correct re: a flat topped jack and jack stands. There are lots of good stands around, but if they do not have a flat top then you risk the damage. I personally popped for the pricier ESCO tripod style, with those great flat rubber insert top. No Y tops this time for me. Yup, someone will say there are cheaper versions, but I do not regret I have but one life to donate to this car--and liked the peace of mind. If you can afford the car, you afford good equipment.
So basically, to avoid damage, I must get a flat top jack stand (and maybe an adapter to sit on top of the flat top jack stand)? Anyone looking to buy 4 used Y top jack stands?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I use these adaptors from Reverse Logic and I think they're great. There's a circular "hockey puck" style adaptor to fit your floor jack and then a pair of jack stand adaptors.
http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...Pad_Tools.html
I have the adapter for the floor jack, but I guess I need to go get some flat top jack stands and four jack stand adapters

wish they had jack stand adapters for Y shaped stands!!

And just to confirm, there is no safe place to hold the car up with 4 Y shaped jack stands?

Thanks everyone!
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's

Last edited by igzekyativ; 11-04-2011 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0