View Single Post
      10-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Essentric Shaft Actuator

Alright, This might be lengthy but if anyone wants to attempt this repair themselves like I did, I had very little go by after the valve cover removal.

Few weeks ago, half engine light popped up. Codes suggested that it was the valvetronic motor but with the N55 engine, they created a Eccentric Shaft Actuator that replaces the valvetronic motor. I followed a guide that vespa created on the e90post forum. It gets you as far as the valve cover removal.

Some extra tips would be to remove the positive cable that crosses over the engine bay and also remove the white box that holds some serious electronics with tons of cables. See where the buggie cod holds them off the valve cover in picture #1.

After you remove the fuel rails, there is some fuel injector clips, I broke one side on the first injector but luckily that the middle clip is what holds the connector in place. As seen here.

This is the eccentric shaft actuator sticking out. I removed the gasket that surround it, it was mostly likely leaking slightly.

So after you get the wiring harness out of the way, you'll see 2 buckets (what I'll call em) that need to be removed in order to access the eccentric shaft.

Here's the new eccentric shaft actuator. Very costly part all by itself and with BMW quoting over $1000 alone for labor, we decided to do this ourselves.

After taking a break and thinking things through after having the engine opened up in all its glory. This is where panic started to set in.

Very clear view, you need to remove the oil line which is connected by a torx nut. just gently remove the oil line from the shaft. There is also 3 torx nuts holding this shaft into place securely. you should wait to remove them, as they can fall into the engine (don't ask me how I learned about that).

So to move forward, there is 3 bolts that have to be removed in order to get that bucket off, these 3 bolts allow the spark plug barrels to come out with the top part attached. Once that is removed, you'll have to remove inject #2 and inject #4 before you can remove the buckets as the last bolt is under those injectors. You'll see the bolts that have to be removed, 4 in total per bucket.

At this point, you can access the eccentric shaft actuator but you can't remove it. This is where I nearly shit myself as I was fully into this 9 hour process. The actuator has a allen key that you use to turn it along with the shaft that the worm gear is moving along. That shaft with the gear on it, has a flat spot that allows you to turn it towards so you can remove the actuator. This is where I got stumped. BE CAREFUL!!! There is spring pressure on that shaft when you move it. There is a stop that is located around the 5th inject that you can see that stops the shaft from moving off the gears. Unscrew that, and carefully use the allen key to turn the shaft along with a allen wrench on the shaft end near the timing belt. This allows you to fully take out the actuator and replace it. Once replaced, move the gears back to how they were before you went past the stopper, and put the stopper back on.

Now you just reverse the process. Putting everything back together how you took it apart.

Once you get into it, my sentences should be clear as day. I'm not a very mechanical inclined guy so my buddy was my father who is a wealth of knowledge and we both work great as team. Hopefully this helps someone once you get past the valve cover removal, because it was basically just blind hope from there as I could't find much in terms on anything on any forum. Also, for the fuel injector removal, be careful. I put a wrench then a nut onto the top of and screwed it on, then just used some force to pop it up (could possibly ruin your inject but mine are perfectly fine). This took a total of 9 hours total from start to finish (turning the car on and driving). If I had to do it again, I could do it in probably a few hours now that I know how to. Good luck to anyone who has to do this!

Last edited by Havocsteve; 10-30-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 3