11-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Why would YOU.... need to do anything? You've just bought a BMW! You don't need to add Oil.. if a light goes off, you take it to the god damn DEALER!

They give you free coffee, deli treats, fruit drinks and nice pastries. If you have to go, they suply you with a loaner thats usually has less miles on it than your car does and your off to enjoy YOUR day... leaving the paid professionals to examine your oils content, drain and purge,, then refill your oil.

All because a light came on! BMW wants to protect their vehichles..even if you don't!
LOL! I know, I know. I (personally) do not believe that 17k mile old oil can effectively protect my engine's internals. When my car reaches above +120k miles on the odometer, I believe it's going to be in better shape than one that had it's oil changed less than one third as frequently.

By the way, no oil light comes on, I'm not low on oil. I'm choosing to do what I feel is proper maintenance. I do autocross and track my car, and I feel that 17k mile intervals between oil changes is wrong.

Also, if you have any BMW Tech's as friends, as I do, they'll tell you that they think the same thing as I do. I think it's just BMW's way of pinching a few pennies. They could care less what happens after 4yrs/50k miles, because you're paying for the maintenance after that. Take care of your things, and they'll take care of you. I have always done my oil changes, and I can do them for <$30 and in <15 minutes. Seems like cheap peace of mind to me.

Garrett, if you were down a qt of oil, you would really drive to the dealer to have them add a quart?
Appreciate 0