View Single Post
      03-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Austin Healy Sprite Mk 11A. 18 YO. Drove it as though I was Jim Clark. When I blew the engine I had it bored and tuned with extractors, cam, high comp' pistons and a 45mm Weber. It then would twist and snap the puny axles where the spline entered the diff so I carried a spare axle around with me in the boot plus the tools to do a roadside swap. Stripped out its already meager comforts and fitted a one piece fibreglass front which hinged forward off the chassis. When I was taking it to be painted I had the front fitted loosely because it was just a short trip and it had to be taken off again; not thinking, braked hard at a downhill intersection and the whole front came off the car and went sliding on down the road. How embarrassing! Removed the bumpers, the windows and the quarter vents and fitted curtains to the roof ( which was never up ). It was so light I could pick up the back. Blew the engine again but by this time I could work on it blind folded. Had little bits of cut in half washer to shim the inlet manifold. The non syncro first ( from an Austin light truck ) was so low geared you could climb a tree with it, consequently, with the extra power, I always started off in second so it was effectively a 3 speed. 4th topped out at about 70 mph. I had padding fitted to the roll bar and another pad for the top of the screen to carry surfboards. 4 point harness in case I rolled it. Widened ( steel ) wheels with pumped rear guards. Mags came later.
Brilliant brilliant unassisted direct steering that Porsche should copy for feel.

You would have to point a gun at my head to get me back into one.

Some self flagellating fool actually drove an MG Midget ( the same car, different badge ) around the world for charity. He drove 39,000 miles alone through 27 countries . His book is appropriately titled - "Not in that car!", by Roy Locock. Yes that's his real name.
Appreciate 0