View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #32
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Since I checked this thread last I discovered the SuperSprint sells headers for the car. That's the route I'd go. I don't know any company that does as extensive testing as them (pretty sure they make the most power in every application they compete in) and their fitment is always spot on. Pricier, but... good things are worth paying for.

MMW's other products are for Scions

Correct. So your car won't even be overly stinky if you do headers.

I also noticed, while looking at my brothers N52, that not only are the cats in the "headers", but the "headers" are actually collectors. Collectors aren't great, cats close to the engine aren't great-- I'm more confident than before that there's some real power to be had from headers.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if people start regularly getting 295 (crank) HP from 128i's with 3 mods:
1) DISA valves
2) Good headers
3) software that enables the valves and retune for the headers.

My math is as follows...
130s and 330s make 265 hp from the same engine with the DISA valves, so 265 is pretty much a given. 295 requires 30 more, which seems like a lot... but the OEM collectors/cats really look like a crappy design. I actually think 30 is a safe bet.

And, as an extra margin, software companies claim ~10-15 hp from a tune. So, maybe more.
nothing wrong with a scion? scion = toyota, saying scions suck (remember scion is releasing the GT-86/BR-Z in north america ), is like saying toyota sucks, and toyota gave us the 3S-GTE and 2jz-GTE

collectors as in the header pipes merge? that's totally normal, impossible to do it any other way? doesn't matter as long as the merge is smooth and non restrictive... classically a X>Y>Z (say 4>2>1 in the case of a 4cyl car) gives more low down power, where a 4>1 is more high end

i'd really just love to crack the 300hp mark N/A :P. intake tune headers exhaust *crosses fingers* haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, I get it, but $8,000 is still a lot of money for headers, downpipes, and a muffler, lol. Especially for a street car.

(Now I can't remember where I saw those prices or what exactly I was looking at - are you seeing something else? Their website is hard to navigate and the most recent update is 5 years old....)
costs too much yes, WAY too much, that is greater than akrapovik money...

headers are like $3k or something stupid ED: 2.1k
so yeah 5k for catback with cats, 2.1k for the headers.. plus shiping and installation, OVER 8k.

i want a laptorr, at $2500 shipped, it's a much better idea, also produces the nicest exhaust note for the N52, bar none.. prove me wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
the MMW headers shipped out last friday for whoever ordered them! wonder if anyone here got em
i'm so excited for results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't know where you got that pricing either, but seems higher than reality. The muffler pricing hasn't been announced yet and there is no down pipe for NA cars, so... really don't know where you got that number from.

Looking at the design of things, I suspect the HP gains in the 128 will be had from headers and the sound gains will be had from muffler. The mids are likely fine as is. The stock mids also have secondary cats in them, which is great-- it means you can run aftermarket headers without being overly smelly. If you combine it with a tune that turns off the post cat 02s and still leaves them showing as ready (such as Evolve) or run sims/angulators, it's a pretty cost effective way to gain some power

But, yes, SS's stuff is certainly not cheap.
http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-3...93E280BA_.aspx

http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-2...093E280BA.aspx

wow wtf just saw this, the 130i lists a muffler etc. but the 125i don't.. they're EXACTLY THE SAME CAR. exhaust engines EXACTLY THE SAME. idiots.

has headers (that look *okayy*).. .and catless pipes or pipes with cat... that's all you need, bar center pipe and a muffler

the MMW headers *look* muuch superior, the outlet diameter for them (check pics on facebook) are absolutely monstrously massive, and the bends are perfectly smooth... as well as the pipes extending slightly into the block to ensure a snug perfect fit... and better looking welds.. i'm going to have to say the MMW headers *look* vastly superior to the SS ones.

and that's still $1300 GBP (RE: $2100 USD + $500ish (estimate) shipping).. where MMW is ~$1000 + shipping.. headers alone... and SS's cat-back isn't cheap either, looking at $1400 GBP with cats (which is dumb, good cats are like $200 each, where theirs are like 600 *GBP* each looking at the catless pipes...).. loking at their pricing alone SS is a dodgy bunch, if they're putting cat prices up by 4-5x how much are their headers inflated by?

heck, their catback (catless) is $2500 AUD... yeah i'd rather get a laptorr.. or a custom one for $1000. and if you want cats witht eh supersprint it'll cost you close to $5k. ahahahahahaha.

mids are definitely not fine, likely a 2.25 or 2.5" (i'm guessing 2.25" from memory) stock ID, with poor bends. would see gains from a good mandrel 2.75 or 3"... i'll personally test it myself sometime in the near future :P
Appreciate 0