02-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen View Post
oh yea i read up on the 1M mod last night and you better have deep pockets and a lot of time to invest. the plus side is you can rest knowing you did all the work in making your car a masterpiece but the downside is you can go and get a 1M for cheaper than a 135 and a conversion. youre paying for the name in my opinion, same reason that an axleback muffler delete for our cars is north of 450 bucks
Tony135i, mybad135i and venom had insurance claims which mitigated a good portion of the cost of their builds. I think I am the only one of the group who is fully funding their build. If you add the money I spent on my 135i, all of the mods up to date and the cost of the 1M build, I would sit around a stock 1M msrp. Keep in mind all of the money spent was over several enjoyable years learning and building my car up to where it is now. So yes, if I took all of the money spent over the last few years on modding my 135i and the cost of the car and threw on the cash to do the 1M conversion I could have bought a 1M. However, that isn't how everything worked out. To sell and part my car and buy a 1M at the current market value, it would cost me about $20k more than I am spending now to convert my car and only for an extremely similar car. I already have M3 suspension parts and a diff.

Yes my car will not be a true 1M, yes my car will not be limited to 740 in the US, but I am not looking at this thing as an investment, rather just a really fun project to build and enjoy to drive. I think Tony135i, Mybad135i and Venom all share that mindset.
Appreciate 0