View Single Post
      10-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #109
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Why would the M Division be "below" the iS cars if the 1M is priced below the 335iS? The M Division and Dr. Segler have been continually talking about making an affordable M car (relative to the current products) to appeal to a younger demographic. Even if the 1M ends up being less expensive than a 335iS, both cars serve different purposes. In my opinion, the 1M would be a focused driver's/track car that is getting back to basics by leaving out expensive options like DCT, carbon fiber, etc. It would sort of be like a new age E30 M3 that people have been begging for. The 335iS on the other hand, is the offering for people looking for a bigger, more luxurious sports coupe with additional power than a regular 335, and having the option of DCT. Sure there is the M3, but not everyone may want a thirsty V8 or they just can't afford it, so the 335iS is their compromise.
I guess that the days of the M Division are over, and now it is just another trim package, then.

Again... affordable and limited procution/schedule are two conflicting things. And if you add the "is" line then -to me- it does not make any profit sense to offer something that it is to be limited cheaper than a full production model while at the same time offering much more standard equipment and all out performance.

This is not a folding hardtop convertible as the Z4, which by itself commands a premium -and still I don't agree either with the pricing scheme of the Z4is against the M3 Coupe.

The quote from Dr. Segler is clear -at least to me... the 1M will be priced between the 135i and the M3 Coupe. Not between the 135i and the 335is, not between the 135i and the M3 Sedan. I think that this "affordable" label will be applied to the next, 4-cylinder turbo 1M. But not to this one.

Over and out...
Appreciate 0