View Single Post
      05-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #54
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Not trying to argue here, but just to play devils advocate. Since the N55 came out 2 years before the 1M(and obviously it was in development for years before release,) going by your logic: BMW engineers would've been fully aware of the of the N55's devolopment and soon-to-be implementation into the 1 platform. So there would've been a moment when a decision had to made which engine to procede with.
Alright so in a search to find the actual timeline of the 1M coupe I came up with this. At least we have some evidence of the actual time frame of the development of the 1M.

Sadly enough for all N55 owners...what the N54 owners have been claiming has come true. I hate to admit that I was wrong, however I was. The 1M coupe was apparently the only car to take less than a 3 year development.

Here is what I found from this interview.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/08/29/bm...dr-kay-segler/

BMWBLOG: How long is the design process to produce an M car?

Dr. Kay Segler: It depends. We don’t compromise therefore we come later than the base model as you see with the new M5, because we don’t want to compromise. On the 1 series M coupe we were very, very fast – I mean tremendously fast! We took some risks but we managed it because we are a very small team, there is no hierarchy. Basically the principle idea was in June/July of last year that we might do something like this and we will bring it out next spring. So great job by the team.