View Single Post
      12-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
e82fan8998
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Here's My Experience FWIW

I have a 2009 135i Crimson Red with the factory (VentureShield) clear bra, and also a Grey VW Passat with the 3M product I installed myself. My brother has a 2005 911 C2S in black with clear bra including full hood. Here are my observations and conclusions about these products over many years and miles, including track time:
1. These films, regardless of brand, do an excellent job of protecting the vehicle from impacts, stone chips, bug damage, etc., including more serious impacts that would have resulted in paint work being needed (e.g. your elderly father drops his motorcycle on your bumper!).
2. They should not be thought of as a way to protect the underlying paint, but rather, as a resilient surface finish which is more durable and looks better for many more years/miles than a painted surface alone.
3. Depending upon how long the product has been installed, heat and sunlight exposure, and individual product characteristics, they can be fairly difficult to remove. Best bet if you are going for a like-new finish indefinitely would be to replace the film every 3 - 5 years.
4. Installation of these products over a repainted (not factory) finish will run the risk of paint lift upon removal, regardless of cure time. This is actually governed by the quality of the repaint, including products used, surface prep, and other factors.
Overall, my experience has been very positive, and until the vehicle manufacturers come up with a more durable surface finish, this may be the best solution for keeping our cars looking new for as long as possible.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0