View Single Post
      06-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #26
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
For what it's worth, I had a candid conversation with one of my sources yesterday, and he eluded to a few more details.

First, the coupe and convertible will debut together, except for the 135i convertible, which will come later in the model year. They will launch in the States early in the 2nd quarter of 2008 as 2009 models. A 128i coupe and convertible and a 135i coupe will bow together.

It sounds as if all 135i models will be equipped with sport pacakge (sport seats, suspension, M Technik body kit, 18" wheels) as standard. The 128i will offer a sport package (seats & suspension) as an option. Expect leatherette as standard with leather as an option on 128i, and part leather/part cloth sport seats on the 135i, with full leather as an option.

6-speed manuals will be standard on both, and the 6-speed auto'box will cost extra. Don't expect a dual-clutch gearbox until at least a year after it debuts in the new M3 (which will be here next summer, but as a six-speed manual only in the 2009 model year).

Despite what AN keeps reporting, the plan is still to refer to them (both) as 1 Series models. The 2 Series talk has been denied to the hilt by everyone I've talked to at BMW.

Internally, the folks at BMWNA are quite excited about the launch of the coupe. My contact acknowledged that the 3 Series has moved upmarket and no longer appeals to the same type of driver that fell in love with 2002s and E30s, and that the 1 Series will get back to those cars' "attainable" driver's car roots. Still too early to discuss pricing but the consensus is it will be a value by BMW standards, but not a "cheap" car.
Thanks for the update Bryan. I feel like a starved child. Any info is very good at this point.