11-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #103
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
JD

Thanks I appreciate the time to explain the setup, I was assuming the new thermostat was replacing the OEM unit, but I understand why the new adaptor plate is needed now.

Did you do the radiator AND oil cooler at the same time on your car, just wondering if you saw a difference in cooling between them? From an install timeframe do you have any idea how long this would take, just wondering if it's a day job or if its taxi time?
Hey Paul,

the PWR radiator was fitted just prior to the car entering the "Hot Tuner Shootout".

FYI,

the Stett oil cooler kit was the VERY FIRST MOD I bought for the vehicle.

This was for two reasons.

The first being that I considered it a key component given the "build" I had envisaged.

The latter was that excessive oil temps was very much a known problem on modded vehicles, due to the insufficient OE oil cooling system.

I had not upgraded the radiator previously, as I had not tracked the car as yet.

The Stett kit had done wonders for controlling oil temps whilst the car had spent countless hours on the dyno.

Pete has commented several times before that my car has the lowest sustained oil temp, of all the N54/N55 BMW's he has dynoed.

Which in itself is quite significant as my 1'er makes just a little more horsepower than most other 1 & 3 Series BMW's too.

Paul I suspect if you give Pete a bit of notice, he can knock the complete installation over in around 5 hours.

Last edited by JD75; 11-24-2011 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0