View Single Post
      07-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #79
jrct9454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Considering E91 Wa

Yep.....this is what I've been saying.

The run-flats are going to be VERY sensitive to flat-spotting - before rushing off to get the tires rebalanced [and probably screwing them up in the process], take the car up to 70-80 mph for at least 20-30 minutes and see if the mid-speed shaking hasn't mysteriously cured itself [this problem, when it happens, will be most readily apparent at 45-60 mph].

If you must visit the balancing machine, make sure the tires are warm and the car gets on the lift immediately upon coming off the highway. If it sits even as much as 30 minutes, a road-force balancer is going to show flat-spots, and attempts to compensate for that are going to make matters worse.

I don't think it's any accident that our poster above with 19" [pretty extreme] CONVENTIONAL tires is experiencing a butter-smooth ride. I think my first move upon buying this car would be to remove the run-flats, and carry a compressor [which I do anyway] and hope for the best. Fact is, out in the boonies, the run-flats aren't going to be any better than a conventional tire in terms of how much help you're going to need, and trying to find a tire dealer in Bumfingers [or name your favorite garden spot] that can handle run-flats is next to impossible.

So, my view continues to be....this was a really dismal decision on the part of BMW to force this technology on its customers. Right up there with the early I-Drive baloney foisted on unsuspecting 7ers.
Appreciate 0