08-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #42
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingh2daizzo View Post
So I got my add-a-circuit and connected two two 10 amps fuse and pinched it to the female connector, does that look correct:

AND I tap this to slot #5...? correct?
That will work, but most people are using slot #8, which is the accessory (cig lighter) slot.

As for the fuses, each of the two fuses in the "adder" is used for a different purpose, the one closest to the blades replaces the existing fuse, so you if you were using slot #8 you would only have 10 Amps being fed to the accessory slot. This should be fine unless you use the cig lighter, you may find it blows a 10 amp fuse.

The outer fuse socket feeds the wire to your new device, so you may find you could have a smaller fuse for that device. For instance if the radar detector only needs 2 amps, you may be better off with a 15 for the replacement fuse, and a 5 for the new fuse.

Finally, look at the rating for the fuse you're replacing, for instance if the fuse in slot #5 is only 5 amps, it is not impossible that the AWG rating on the wire behind the fuse board may not handle the maximum 20 amps from the two 10 amp fuses you're installing.

Hope that helps.