View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Well, it seems it's the thing to do these days, so i might as well hah, just for those of you that don't visit any of the other forums..

So this is my car, an E87 130i

[IMG]http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...87925876_n.jpg[/IMG]

and this is what's going in to it (and why i made this thread, really)

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
... well.. it's a lot cleaner, and has a few bits stripped off it, well, most of it now, just getting it onto the stand to take the final pieces and degrease/photograph.

There's an absolute stack of stuff that's getting done to it before, which i'll edit into this post when i can be bothered..

Plan:

Overview:

Basically, have an E87 with an N54 in it, Engine/Gearbox, custom driveshaft into the 130i diff (keep the diff ratio high for maximum tire frying hah).

Realistically, i'll never have the engine out of the car ever again, while still being able to have it on the road for use day to day... so:

Engine: Purchased and in garage

Have not yet worked out what workshop will be doing the work, really no idea.. a few i've contacted have pretty much said 'yeah we can do it' so i'll have to find one really soon.

Also not sure on the installer, have found one agreeable party on the Sunshine Coast, no major award winning rep, but a very VERY solid history of doing literally nothing but swapping engines into cars with sometimes strange combinations every day.. spoken to a few other shops (east coast) who thought it would be fun and were keen at the time... I'd like to have a long chat with rx Auto though, as they know their BMW's..

- Head port + polish, new valves, general recondition... dzenno .. elsewhere on the internet, has shown the N54 head flows HORRIBLY from the factory.. and gains can be had.. Probably bigger exhaust valves, just like he got, will be up to the shop though, they're the experts. New springs, retainers, etc.

- New internals, CP pistons, Carillo rods, Compression ratio ???? stock? higher than stock? lowered (9.5) for major boost? standard head gasket or thicker one? question overall... [unpurchased]

-Gearbox on the way from the UK, 6MT.. The engine started it's life as a step, mual, it's cheaper to go manual, and yes it's no issue. Purchased and in shipment!

Performance Stuff:

-IC, didn't come with one, that's ok, is legal to upgrade from the get go, many many choices [unpurchased]

-Charge Pipe.. the factory one would probably fail way too quickly, plus i want custom intake piping done (proven gains, even over DCI), so a BOV (while not legal...) is so much easier.. definitely a post-swap thing hah [unpurchased]

- -Factory cat-back probably, if the 130i factory one is way too far off the downpipes, for engineering and registration only.. Stock downpipes til it's all installed and on the road [unpurchased?]

Misc:
-HUNDREDS OF SEALS AND GASKETS AND UGH need to be had...
[unpurchased]

- Driveshaft, all models/engine combinations seem to have wildly different lengths, so only sensible choice, cheaper than a new OE one regardless, something nice and strong.
[unpurchased]

- Fuel pump, there's a few options in development now, both HPFP and LPFP

Eventually get a set of stoptechs, i'll probably have to get bigger brakes to engineer the swap all legal like

Questions that Haven't been asked but have probably been thought about:

Why am i doing this?
Because it's fun, and interesting... pretty unique (only one other comparable E8x hatch in the world i know of?).. could be some other S85 swaps or craziness *shrug* lol

Why not just get a 135i?
Many reasons. Less fun for one... i do wish i could get all the cool affordable diffusers/trunk spoilers/cf trunks and fun stuff though.. there's that...

What's the goal?
Reliable, number 1 goal, if it broke soon after it happened, i'd cry. not manly tears, not manly at all...
Big power, nothing set but BIG.

any more questions/comments? go ahead

Last edited by flinchy; 01-30-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0