09-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #101
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Where are you seeing it is a "stretch" bolt? I would not think aluminum has the right properties for that. I'm betting you'll rip the threads right off an aluminum bolt before you actually get a real "stretch" tension. I cannot find any information on such a thing as an aluminum "stretch" bolt in any application.

Not saying "don't bother replacing" just challenging the "stretch" part.
I doubt the bolts are aluminum. I believe they are some type of low-grade steel. Bolted joints rely on the bolt being stressed to a high percentage of its capability... to some point of permanent deformation... in order to provide the necessary clamping force. Once you start stretching a bolt (original installation to the proper torque), re-stretching it by repeated applications of torque is simply working the bolt to eventual failure. I may have already overtorqued my bolts... I've got new ones on order. I'll get under my car in the next day or two with a torque wrench... if I set the wrench to 74 lb ft and any of the bolts move at all, I know I've found my problem.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0