View Single Post
      07-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
Mountie
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
^ I know it varies from car to car in terms of what you are talking about, but I was referring to raw math. If you give a number and then assume a 15% loss that is the correct calculation, dividing by .85 that is the only way to do it. I agree it is fuzzy math because you can never get ideal numbers, I was simply stating that you cannot add back 15% and say that is the corrected number for 15% loss.

There are too many variables involved and I am personally most interested in the difference between numbers from stock to mods because as we all know dyno graphs are like finance, you can skew them anyway you want to make it seem the way you want.
The only way to accurately do this is to have both crank and whp numbers. My 135i, for example, dynoed 267. Take 300 crank divided by 267 whp and myestimated drive-train loss is around 12%. Use that number as your baseline for any modifications in calculating crank hp. So, if I add a tune and turn out 340whp, then my crank would be 382. At this point all 3 variables have been accounted for. Then there is the overrated crowd that takes this down a different path... because I also put down 295wtq
Appreciate 0