View Single Post
      09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Not a whole lot to add. I did add 5mm spacers to the rear today. I already posted showing where it wears on the left/driver's side inner liner. There was a tiny amount of scrapping showing on the passenger side as well when I looked, but less than the driver's side.

When the car is full lifted the rear tires actually touch the diagonal brace that connects the rear subframe to the rocker panel area of the frame. Probably not an issue as during even aggressive driving it is unlikely both wheels will be extended, and the sway bar, as small as it is, should keep the inside tire from completely drooping. I suppose if you catch air it could be an issue. The spacer moves the tire off the brace, and I suspect will take care of the tire wearing the liner for the most part.

I took a careful look everywhere else, front and rear, and saw no more signs of rubbing besides the rear liner covered above.

I'll report back if the 5mm spacers seem to cause issues, but I really doubt it. Interesting since Apex changed from the +62 on the ARC-8 to +58 for the EC-7. I tend to think +58 is actually closer. My 5mm spacers give me +57.

edit pics:
Here is evidence the tire is touching the brace. It's really nothing I think anyone should really be concerned about (you can also see my Whiteline subframe inserts which I ♥ and highly recommend, see my DIY thread in the DIY section):

This is with car up on stands, so it doesn't really touch on the ground, but the tiny amount of rubber you see above shows it must touch sometimes.

After spacer, brace clears tire, again, this is with the car up on stands and suspension fully drooped on both sides:

Here is the companion shot of the passenger side showing a touch of scraping (not as much as driver's side which wore a hole through the liner, see a few posts up):

I'd still say anyone can go for it with no spacers. Really the above issues are super minor and really with the car actually on the ground things are touching that much or often. There is NO noticeable wear anywhere on any tire. I took a really careful look at everything today while installing wheel studs on the front and the spacers in the rear.

Last edited by Freon; 09-08-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0