View Single Post
      03-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
They may have been playing a sales tactic called "getting buy-in".

The game is to force a potential customer to demand that they really want to buy your product. It's supposed to make the customer into be the one proving that they really want to buy the car, instead of the salesman trying to be the one to prove to the customer that the customer should really want to buy the car. This puts the salesperson in a position of control. Now you are the one who is supposed to feel like you need something from him, not the other way around.

The response they expected was for you to be offended and then offer/ask how to prove that you were a serious customer.

But it backfired. You got offended, but you walked out instead of playing out the rest of the game the way they wanted.

It's a classic grinder sales tactic, about at the level of "losing the keys on the roof" of your trade-in. That's where they are grinding you on the numbers and you say no, and want to leave. They say they can't find your keys for your trade-in they took for an evaluation drive. So they let you stew for a little bit while they establish that THEY control the situation, not you. Then they send in their top closer to apologize profusely and try to take one more run at you with the numbers.
You're probably correct. My question would be why any BMW dealer would stoop to these tactics, but in this case I think I know the answer.
Appreciate 0