Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am running a ton of octane boost and will eventually go back to a 91 map (race gas is tough to find anymore outta the pump). I did do some logging with the Accessport and it didn't seem to be pulling any timing giving me the impression that it was happy with it's fuel quality (Chevron 91 and a whole bottle of 104+). Really what I think I'm feeling is my well balanced, very capable little (stock) car being turned into a hairy chested beast! It may be pushing the limits of some of it's stock components. Unreal what the Cobb does for the power (thanks again Venom...).

Upon further reflection I think the car could use a proper tune and that perhaps it could benefit from some further freeing up of the intake/exhaust in order to smooth out the power. I also need some more time with the thing in it's current state of tune (have only driven to San Diego and back). Next mod on the list is an intercooler (on order) and then an axle back. Then a proper tune at Cobb. Loved my STI but this car is so much more enjoyable; I am amazed what a difference 500 cc's, an extra turbo, and two more cylinders will make!

Edit: BTW B1aze, you are right, I was always worried applying big throttle input to the EJ motor, it seemed more fragile and less consistent in it's power delivery and prone to change it's tune or pull timing. I was always on pins and needles with that thing...
I will second what RnmEVO stated, better cooling is going to be your friend with this car. I have had quite a few issues caused by heat. So FMIC is what I would do next, then follow up with downpipes (That is assuming you are feeling hiccups of any kind when driving.) Pay attention to oil temps, I limped back to the dealership when it hit 280. Other than that, the full torque comes on low which is why I advise modulating your throttle input because from the getgo the boost will hit and not at 5-8 psi like the stock tune.
No problem at all. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Or if you are have any issues with the AP the cobb support team is pretty useful!
Appreciate 0