View Single Post
      02-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi Guys,

I am not going to get into the tuner war here as anything I say is biased towards Procede since I am involved with this product.

I just wanted to say that quoting fuel economy numbers here really has no value. The way the car is driven has far more effect then the tune on fuel economy. And that being said, the tune allows for the car to be driven harder meaning more fuel... even if it is using less fuel per kW produced. What I am trying to say is that you can only really compare the effect of a tune on economy if the car is driven in the same way before and after the tune was fitted, and that is rarely the case. For most people it takes some time after fitting a tune to get back to driving it normally simply because they enjoy the power they have gained from the tune. Even when they are driving it normally, if the driver is a more aggressive driver, the tune will use more fuel (more boost provided by tune means more fuel), and if they are an economical driver, they may use less fuel.

What I can say is that in the Procede we do tune for economy in cruise, and we do have the most capability of actually tuning the aspects of the tune that effects economy out of any tune. Economy during cruising (no boost) comes down to fuel mixtures and timing. Most of the competition can only adjust one of those two parameters. Procede does actively add ignition advance in cruise and it is proven in our testing in as controlled conditions as we could replicate to improve economy by 2-3mpg. Unfortuantely this will only have a sizable impact on your fuel bill if you spend alot of time cruising.

When it comes to problems with tunes, there is lots of smoke and mirrors. Every tune has issues with codes and other things. Some do better to keep it off forums than others. For both tunes, the vast majority have no issues, but when one person has an issue and decided to put it on the forum, everybody finds out and it is suddenly assumed that the tune has issues, when in reality, it is normally just a weird combination of car and mods and tune that pushs some parameters outside the normal envelope to cause an issue. Both tunes are very good in that respect these days. As long as you are not the unlucky one who gets the car that causes issues, you will probably never need any support.

As for the BT scanner and some people saying it is absolutely necessary, I completely disagree. I have a BT scanner and I have a Procede. I have not touched the BT scanner in over 6 months, and even then it was only to see how it was doing something so I could make some changes to Procede. Some people go on about the BT, and for some people it is a great tool, but for most people they really just want the capability to clear a code if it comes up, and work out what it is to prevent it happening again. I can understand that some people have a genuine interest in how things work and may appreciate the capability of the BT and spend hours working out how to use it, but most people just want to get rid of a problem, and all they will ever do with the BT is clear codes and read codes, and there are other tools/tunes that can do that. I mean if you have plenty of spare time, it may interest you to view the hundreds of parameters that the BT car read, but does that really add any value? There are only about 10-15 parameters that are useful for monitoring engine performance, and the Procede logs them at much higher rate with much better software analysis tools than the BT.

Zuzu, I am interested in why the BT was an absolute must for you if you have never had an issue with your tune? I am not trying to have a go.... but really a tool like this is only a must if you need to use it for something, and most people do not.

BMWRX, I thought you had decided on the Procede. I was just waiting for your payment to send it to you.

BBK, a telephone call on the same time zone is not quite the same as one in a vastly different timezone. I am pretty sure I can offer support to people in Australia better than anyone from BMS can. Sure I can see that BMS has given most people the support that they need, but should something happen requiring urgent support, I am sure as a local, I can do a better job of support in Brisbane than BMS can.

Anyway, just my $0.02 on things.

Adrian
Appreciate 0