View Single Post
      01-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #141
gwhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/M Sport

As soon as I heard that the rumors that BMW could "see" aftermarket tunes I decided that I wasn't going to screw around with them and go the PPK route. Having just purchased a 2012 model, I certainly wouldn't want to void the warranty - that was part of the whole reason for trading in my old car.

The computers on these cars and the ones at the dealerships that tune and update them are so advanced, it's just silly to think that there's no way of detecting an aftermarket tune even after a tool is used to clear codes. Those error codes are just one way (and the easiest of course) that they could see tampering. Being able to "see" what a car's peak boost has been is most likely the only evidence that they would need to prove that you've had a tune, and I'm certain that it's pretty easy to extract that information.

These are only my thoughts and speculations of course, but like I said, they made me go with the PPK and now with more info coming out, I'm glad I did.

What really bugs me is the fact that as I was researching tunes, I contacted one of the most used companies on this forum with a question about whether the tune is truly undetectable. They gave me an absolute answer of "once you use the CAN tool, it's impossible for the dealership to detect." This is seemingly misinformation, irrelevantly innocent or intentional, very irresponsible and may end up causing someone to lose their warranty.

Last edited by gwhiz; 01-08-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0