View Single Post
      02-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
When driven with great enthusiasm... the carpeting and the plastic become HOT to the touch and will come to the point that it will almost start burning my leg if I am wearing shorts.
Heat issue: very well document of temperatures and causes of issue; exhaust heat. Visual inspection under vehicle shows that there is no reflective heat shield on driver side of transmission housing. By design is this a mistake?? The question has been sent to Germany. Engineer has told me that issue is top priority and answers will be forthcoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
My dealer found that the main supply pipe to the heater box is uninsulated, located within the right hand side footwell, that means when the engine is hot the heat from the cooling pipes are, was, transmitting directly into the cabin.
Together the dealer and I measured 84 degrees C... Which is really hot.
Dealer took apart the entire trim, burnt himself on the uninsulated pipe, and spoke with BMW engineers. The engineers sent a peak and stich reflective insulation to be applied to the inside face of the interior trim in an effort to reflect the heat back into the heat box area. At the time we measured 41-c which was a big improvement.
More to come in the summer when the heat rises... So far it is tolerable
Uh-oh, sounds like a tell-tale sign for a future product recall. BMW will certainly investigate the matter. Don't want no Stella Liebeck hassle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants).

Anyway, gives the "it's a hot car" expression promptly a different meaning...
Appreciate 0