View Single Post
      11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I've had 2 software updates on my 135i in a little over 2yrs.
Modern car computers get updates much more often than changes to the daylight saving time schedule.
I would say that the very fact that you're on this forum means you're not the average driver I'm referring to. I know people who've owned 3, 5 and 7 series cars for years that have never seen the inside of a dealer let alone gotten a firmware update. This is far more common than the owner who actually takes his car in for service at the dealer.

Yes, the covered maintenance on BMW's has done much to bring this service back to the dealer, but I know plenty of people who would rather go to an indy for all their services.

Still, I think my point is valid. As Pangloss mentioned the DST updates in recent years have been problematic with a number of cars that were programmed to change automatically. And bear in mind also that we're dealing with changes that occur worldwide, not just in the USA. And as mentioned there are some states that override the federal guidance... yeah it gets sticky as hell really quickly. Better to have a reliable dynamic update system that doesn't rely on the dealers than have your customers all up in arms about it. That's coming, but it's not really there yet.
Appreciate 0