11-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
It is amazing how different some of these forums can be. 1addicts is completely against filters like this, but others I am on show gains of 6-8hp almost every time. I am gonna say this, drop ins flow more air, plain and simple. Do they flow more dust too, well I think it depends on the brand/quality. I actually wondered if they were filtering ok on my Lightning and I went ahead and sent off oil samples to blackstone, the results showed more than adequate filtration. I will use a quality drop-in in every car I buy, they flow better and last longer. If you are worried, send off your oil sample.

www.blackstone-labs.com
Just some mileage with this filter, not too much and not on my fast roads but still have some initial impressions: nothing too dramatic, sound is almost identical to stock for now maybe a bit more engine sound, I can't tell if there is any more power but I would be very very surprised if there is a loss of power, the real reason for me to change the filter was to experiment if there would be a tad better throttle response and I think I got it, it feels better, not a huge difference but similar to the gain I had with the N55 mids for instance.

The most obvious difference in feel is at low to mid revs in mostly city driving there is a smoothness which is very much welcome in my case. Like it is said it flows better, no doubt about it.

With more high speed driving and more mileage I may soon have a better idea if it's really worth it. In the mean time I will soon start checking inside the box and filter to have an initial idea of filtration level.

Does it worth the money? Depends on your bank account I guess
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0