View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #1779
SuperCNJ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i (N55)

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around the forum for sometime now but haven't posted. Great forum btw, a wealth of knowledge!

I have a late 2011 N55 135i here in the UK and have some burning questions as I have just purchased a Cobb AP for it.

I know that any maps can be uninstalled and the stock map will be reinstated for any warranty work etc but I am still a little skeptical as I have read on other forums that BMW can still see/find out that the ECU has been reflashed or tampered with quite easily as the car is hooked up to the server in Germany to check for discrepancies whenever a service or warranty work is carried out. Some say that there is a "flash counter" or similar feature within the ECU that keeps track of the number of times it has been reflashed?

So I'd like to know if this is true or is it really 100% untraceable?

Also, I'm looking to keep my car relatively stock, except for a BMW performance exhaust and perhaps an air filter. So I would only be running the basic stage 1 maps available to me, I know this sounds dumb considering the power increases some of you guys have gone for, but just out of interest does remaping reduce the life of the engine/transmission components or are the stock engine/transmission components designed to withstand much higher power than stock?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0