View Single Post
      12-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #19
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
like others have said you wanna mod be ready to pay for repair bills should they arise. A clutch though is usually replaced whenever doing a high hp engine build. Have you abused it? Is this you first manual? Any hard launches?
Spirited driving but no abuse. I've been driving manuals for 13 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
Apart from watching the tacho move, do you actually hear the engine rev higher and then drop?

All this talk of clutch slip cause the tacho needle moves, doesn't mean anything unless the engine is actually matching what the tacho is saying.

I've seen people rev the crap out of a car wondering why they can't get it to rev more the 5000rpm, only to discover there was a problem with the tacho/sensor, not the engine.
You can hear the engine rev along with the tach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
This sounds exactly like the problem I have been having. Clutch slips immediately after an up-change. Car hesitates or sometimes jerks a bit while the clutch is struggling to grip, then it goes as normal.

FYI. I've already had my clutch and gearbox replaced as when BMW opened it up they discovered that oil was leaking into the clutch. This was causing the slip when you change gear and it eventually caused my clutch to be completely fried. Unfortunately for me, even after having everything replaced it has started doing it again so it is going back to the dealer after xmas.

Anyway, the point is, that slip after a gearchange is almost certainly caused by oil in the clutch. PM me if you want further details. I'm 99% sure that the clutch mechanism would be the same between a 123d and a 135i.
Very interesting. I just sent you a PM and I'm going to mention this possibility to the tech today.
Appreciate 0