06-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #27
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I personally cannot comment on JB4, Giac, or Proceed (which are all great options) but I can tell you a bit about my experience with my Cobb AP.

As some have noted, power aside, the Cobb is really easy to use. Install time is done from your driver seat and it takes about 25 minutes for the intitial install and about 10 minutes to change maps after. Downloading maps from Cobb and Loading them onto the AP is as easy as putting music on your ipod. I was particularly attracted to Cobb because my car was under warranty and I wanted to easily go back to stock for dealer services. I quickly uninstalled it each time and had zero dealer issues while running the cobb AP.

Another benefit to the Cobb AP which often gets over looked is the trouble shooting aspect. You can read and clear codes with it. This makes trouble shooting much easier. The Cobb AP even when installed and mated to a specific car can be used to read codes on other compatible vehicles.

Cobb fairly regularly updates with new maps. last year cobb updated their maps library several times. Stage 1, 1+,2, 2+, in drive, sport, and aggressive maps. Many maps have different throttle options as well. Having the option to change your map based on mods, desired level of tuning and available octane is very nice. I have been updating my car throughout the year with new map releases and the current beta maps are a significant update over some of the earlier maps.

One major downside of the Cobb AP for many people to Cobb AP is the lack of Methanol Support. Personally I didnt plan on running meth so it didnt sway me but for people wanting maximum power with meth support the Proceed or JB4 are better.

RB turbos, which I am considering, the JB4 is the best option.

If price is a major factor in your decision, the JB4 has a significant advantage over the other options. If your car is out of warranty, the JB4 is more attractive as well as you would really only have to put it in for the initial instal and possibly disconnect it for a Smog check.

If your car has a decent amount of warranty left and the only mod you are planning is a tune (as your original post states) I would 100% suggest the Cobb AP.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, yeah price is a lot higher, but I think it will be worth it, I still have two years of warranty or 80ks left and plan to sell in a year and get a 2011 or so.

thank you so much. Now to do some shopping, see if i can get one at a discount or something!

once again thank you very much!

I find these forums to be a lot more "mature" then when I was at the evolution forums.

Thank you guys. I will be reading through the forums more soon, Im am just a little busy with my new job!

excited to be a part of the forum.
Appreciate 0