View Single Post
      04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
Picked up..........finally my car yesterday (originally had 2010 6MT ordered that was to be here in March). After fumbliing with the auto stick to get it to the M (Manual) setting where the DCT is then fully engaged using the paddles, I was off. I say fumbled as my salesman asked me to pull it out of the showroom and little did I know how tough it is to figure this out without any instruction.

Initial thoughts: Unlike my other car (Ferrari 360 with F1 tran) the stalks on the steering wheel are closer than is ideal to the paddles... but I think that is simply gonna be a matter of getting used to. Now the good news.........smooth as silk are the shifts and although I have only 50 miles logged to date its as good as any paddle shift tranny I have used. Only shifting at 3k-4.5K (during breakin) its very quick and ultra smooth but it DOES feel like you are shifting unlike some systems from other manufacturers where the shifting is more muted like an autobox. A buddy of mine who is very involved with PCA who has driven several of their PDK transmission cars drove my car for 2 miles today and loved it also for its smoothness and thought it similar.

Another feature I like is that even if you have it in AUTO mode you can start using the paddles whenever you like and it overrides the current setting of the tranny. System does revert back to AUTO mode as soon as you stop shifiting.

General fit and finish is excellent. I came from Audi for last 3 years and BMW is very nicely done. Will post some pictures and further updates later..........So far NO REGRETS over switching to the dark side (away from manual transmission)........
Thanks so much for the review, I've been an audi guy for 10 years so I too am switching to the dark side. Please continue when the break in is over. I have driven a Maserati Gransport (love the fixed paddles) and a PDK'ed 911. Its great to hear that this trans is in the same performance league. Also can you tell a difference in the shifting with the sport mode on? I am not a fan of the F1 trans in auto mode or paddles without sport on, just really sluggish.