View Single Post
      06-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
RastaGurl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romka7 View Post
Hello everyone. I had a have a question about installing OEM iPod interface. BMW accessories catalog shows one for $320. Has anyone installed one of those and how hard is it? I did not get it with my car and now driving around listening to radio is getting to me.
I've actually done the install myself. I have iDrive, so in lieu of using the aux input, the iPOd interface made sense.

The installation was a bit involved, as I decided to put the iPod in the ashtray as opposed to the glove compartment, and to get to the underside of the ashtray the centre console has to be removed. AndyM has an awesome write-up in the DIY section on removing the centre console. He's also done a write-up on removing trim, which, in conjunction with the trim removal tools he recommended, was invaluable. Removal of the glove compartment is a relatively simple process, and requires removal of the vent and side trim on the passenger side, as well as the trim around the radio, then removing the torx screws holding it (the glove compartment) in place.

The most difficult and time consuming part for me was getting the interface module into its allocated spot behind the glove compartment, otherwise, it's a straightforward process, and the provided instructions from BMW are precise. The local dealer did the recode for free, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

If you decide to do it, feel free to send me a PM if you need help.
Appreciate 0