View Single Post
      09-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
^ sounds about right. but no sport package??
Purely a question of economics. Having the sport package would be great, but I'm on a budget. Depending on the base price, I think I might be able to buy a new 123d as long as I don't option it out too much -- and as long as I get it for around $700-$1,400 over ED wholesale list. Oh, and with a $500 BMW Car Club of American (BMW CCA) reward.

http://www.bmwcca.org/files/Membersh...Guidelines.pdf

27,000 US retail MSRP (just as an example)
-2,000 ED MSRP discount (ED MSRP based on ~7% off of US MSRP)
-1,500 negotiating down from ED MSRP down to ED wholesale + profit
- 500 BMWCCA reward

If I keep the options down to just heated seats, and use airline miles to get the tickets, this is totally realistic for me. I just can't deck the car out with all the options that would be nice to have, like the sports package.

I'll have to try and make up for the lack of a sports package by doing a sunroof delete to lower the total weight and center of gravity. It is already 145 lbs lighter than the 135i. It should handle OK without the sports package considering it would be 200 lbs lighter without the sunroof compared to a stock 135i (with the sports package). Once the run-flats wear out and I replace them with real tires I will be in better shape.

And I think that the 123d will feel like it accelerates quicker than the 0-60 times would indicate. BMW is giving a 0-60 of 7 seconds (7.1 for 0-100 km). But from the gear ratios and RPM redline, this looks like this will include a shift from 2nd to 3rd. The 135i times only have one shift from 1st to 2nd. If this is the case, the 135i 0-60 times artificially make it look to feel faster than it really does compared to the actual feel of the 123d while driving. Run the two cars to a speed where they have the same number of shifts, like 0-70, and the numbers will be closer. Add a perfomance chip to the 123d and I think it will feel like a rocket, even though a 135i will still out-accelerate it.

I really want BMW to import these. Otherwise I'll be waiting for all of you guys to sell your 135i's used after 3 years. Anyone want to discuss how much you would sell your used 135i's for in 2011? heh.

Wait... on second thought, do I really want to buy a used car from any of you guys? hmmmm
Appreciate 0