vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all your support.

Regarding our Bathurst campaign, it was indeed a weekend of highs and lows (as it always is).

After discovering a pool of water under the car on Saturday morning, we diagnosed a leaking radiator, and replaced it with our spare stock radiator. Car ran well with no leaks, until the drain plug shot itself out (note to others, lockwire your drain plugs!) and the car overheated.

We were stranded at the track with now two leaking radiators. We managed to have the aluminium race radiator repaired at a local shop, however come Sunday morning there was another pool of water beneath the radiator. After scouring high and low for replacement radiators/drain plugs, and only a few short hours until the race, the decision was made to go the trusty radiator stop leak in a bottle. Given that the engine was shot already (due to overheating), we weren't too concerned about any adverse effects, and just prayed that the stuff would do what it said on the label.

After doing the thing, there was still a small leak present. In the meantime we had puttied up the stock radiator with plastic putty, and the plan was if the aluminium radiator continued to leak we would swap it out mid-race.
The decision was made to start the race from pit road, and after turning one lap we came into pits to check the radiator. It was not leaking at all, and after discovering that the stop leak had performed flawlessly, we hit the track again and completed the full 6 hours!!

We finished the race in 19th spot (after starting dead last in 45th), and 6th in class. We were so happy with our achievement, after the radiator was leaking water when the car was fired up and took the track.

So now it's time to fit a new motor, new cooling system, and the various necessary improvements that you always find need to be made during the weekend.

I will be posting up many questions over the next few months regarding performance mods, and other such things. We really appreciate everyone's help with the brake homologation. They worked so well and we were out-braking pretty much everybody (even taking a lot of faster cars by surprise).
Shame about the last minute problems but its great you guys managed to race and finish, great work! That brake homologation was a headache but glad it all worked out in the end

Would highly recommend spending some effort coding out the crap in the DSC system that really interferes with track driving.

I've coded this out on my E82 135, basically helps removing the DSC intervention that occurs even with DSC fully off. Really makes it annoying to drive on track, the 130i would have a lot of these 'features' that hinder performance as well.

Brake fade compensation - DSC pump increases pedal pressure
Brake pretensioning - When you lift off the throttle sharply then get onto the brakes, the DSC increases pedal pressure, results in inconsistent pedal
Brake disc drying - Applies light pressure to the brake discs to clear water when wipers are on
Power reduction on brake overheat - Reduces the engine power when the calculated brake temperatures are too high
Dynamic braking control - applies more pedal pressure at higher speeds

And many more:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1216642