View Single Post
      06-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #32
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
I'm not that enthusiastic about the styling either and think it doesn't look as good as the design shown at the top of this web page or the most recent versions shown in AutoBild. Still, it's pretty hard to do worse than than the hatchback appearance, so in this regard the coupé is a big improvement. However, the front bumper and air intake could really look more aggresive or sporty. The horizontal plates below the fog lights do seem somewhat awkward. If the car were just two inches wider at the side (with the roof width an inch less wide, for a stronger inward slope of the side windows) and nearly two inches less high (compensated by lower seating position in conjunction and thinner seats) the proportions would likely appear more sporty, and the handling would be improved, due to wider tires and improved stance. I'm sure there are some BMW employees already thinking about the next face-lift for this model. Obviously, what's most important now is the weight, performance, and handling characteristics, say, with 18" wheels, 272 horsepower 3.0 liter engine, six speed manual transmission, and shock absorbers in sport mode -- and of course the final price. And even if it is better than an Audi A3 (which isn't a fair comparison to begin with), so what? The 2-series is supposed to be in its own league.
I am hoping the mention of aluminum suspension components (as mentioned by SCOTT) means that we might see a 3050-3100lb car with the N52 (or N53) and manual gearbox. That would be good enough for me.
Appreciate 0