View Single Post
      10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #22
taylor82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius View Post
So if using this rational, the Bmw 3 series which is 29,000Pounds for a 325 and 35,000Pounds for a 335 (all base btw) would be $60,000 and $70,000 in the US?
This isn't how the pricing works (thank God!) unfortunately.

The 1 series, like it or not, is BMW's entry level model. If the '1' is not enough of a hint, I don't know what is. I think why so many people here are concerned about the price is just because of the above reason. If BMW decides to charge anywhere within $1,000 of the 3series then they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
The 1 series is a totally new segment for BMW and while most everyone here is looking at this car from a performance point of view, this is not the case for 90% of BMW's customer base. Most customers who are even thinking about the 1 are customers who could not get into a BMW to begin with (3 series). The 1 is aimed at a younger generation, mid 20's, professionals who are looking to get into a 'bmw'.
I can certainly tell you that the engine and m body styling is not going to be enough to warrant a high 30's price tag in the eyes of that kind of consumer.

My best guess; 128i- $27,500
135i- $32,000

If BMW wants to initiate new buyers into thier brand, they are going to have to draw them in some way and for most, that is going to be heavily based on the price of the vehicle. Engine and body styling come second to most buyers with price and smooth ride/luxury coming first.(at least for luxury brands like bmw)

My 2 cents.
I wasn't suggesting that the price would be the same in pounds as it is in dollars but meerly indicating that the prices did not come in as low as expected in the UK and are not considered being cheap.

As far as being an entry model, to me the coupe isn't the entry model, in the UK we have the hatch which is the so called "entry" model, also some people think of the Mini being BMW since they're sold in the same garages and built by BMW?

I also think BMW will be shooting themselves in the foot to some extent, how many people on this forum would go out and buy a 3 series if the 1er didn't exsist, i haven't yet decided 100% which one i'll get! I do however think they may gain some new sales from people who just like the 1er and not the 3er or can't quite stretch that extra couple of grand for a 3er so won't be a complete "shooting in the foot".

Anyway everyone's entitled to there own opinion, I don't know as well as you guys how the US car market works so i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Still think you'll be getting a bargin compared to Europe!
Appreciate 0