View Single Post
      09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
spiral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

There are three levels of stability/traction control. The default is fully on when you start the car. If you press the DTC button once, it will light up "DTC" in your gauges, and this allows for a little bit more wheel spin. This mode is actually meant for driving slowly in slippery conditions where you don't want the computer to cut drive to your wheels just because you are getting a little wheel spin. But it also suffices for allowing a little more forgiveness during aggressive driving.

I almost always drive my car in this mode, and I commute over very dangerous curvy roads. In my experience, this mode still has a very big safety net, and I would even say it's a little more intrusive than I would prefer. Let me put it this way, it's more intrusive than my Porsche was with stability control fully on. Porsche has really done stability control right.

Now the third level is if you hold the DTC button down for about 5 seconds, a warning light will come on in your gauges. This deactivates the system, although I've read that some people say it will still turn on in extreme circumstances. I usually don't turn mine off all the way in the mountains. If you want to get the best launch from a stop, this mode can be useful. It allows wheel spin, but at least it won't cut engine power.

This is all in my opinion, so don't take any of it for being true and correct. Read your manual to get the full skinny, and test the limits of the car somewhere safe so you can make decisions based on your own experience.
Appreciate 0