View Single Post
      11-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #67
BSM Bimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr engineering View Post
Do you have factual data to support your claim about the stock intake tubes being the choke point? Do you know exactly what the overall surface area calculation is of the factory intake to see what the VE limit is? If you read our previous post you'll see where the information you are giving to other members is incorrect.
Well, the stock inlet pipes are tapered down to slightly larger than 1 1/4 inches which would be a choke point. I'm sorry if I missed the thread, but where is the thread with your results as I'm really trying to figure out what parts are going to see large benefits and which are not.

Quote:
Also, what yourself and many other memebrs don't understand is the labor time to replace all those intake pipes that you feel are the choke point. It's easy to make a statement saying that you should replace the intake tubes from the turbos to the airbox, when many people have never seen what it actually takes to do so. No one in their right mind is going to pay the ridiculous amount of time it would take to R&R these intake tubes, especially when you will not see any power gains even with our upgraded turbos. We have proven this already with our upgraded turbo 135i.
I know it would be very time consuming to replace the pipes, but it wouldn't cost anything for a semi-skilled diy-er. Oldbooser (Larry Owens) had the pipes made and saw great results at the dragstrip after installing them. If I remember correctly he saw almost a half second gain a quarter mile runs.

Quote:
Lastly, the air temp increase with the BMS and Injen intake is quite a bit more than you think it is. In case you're not familiar with BMW's adaptive ignition timing advance, it is directly relative to intake temperatures. Also, from a tuning perspective, each degree of intake timing advance produces more of a hp inrease than each lb of boost. Now if your intake air temperature is increased how do you think that will affect the ignition timing advance?
I previously had a BMS tuning gauge for my JB3, and logged Air intake temps with my BT with the stock CAI and DCI's. The temps were almost identical. The only explanation that makes sense is:

a.) The difference in temps between the stock CAI and an open element system is negligible as the inter-cooler is what is responsible for cooling the intake charge after the turbos.

b.) the increased efficiency of the turbos with the intake has caused the temps to stay the same.

The simplistic equation for making power on a boosted car is Boost+Timing+AFR=hp/tq, and my timing logs were the same after as well, so people running an open intake should see no downside to it. I'm really interested in what data has shown a closed intake to be superior.
Appreciate 0