View Single Post
      11-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #70
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM135i View Post
Well, the stock inlet pipes are tapered down to slightly larger than 1 1/4 inches which would be a choke point. I'm sorry if I missed the thread, but where is the thread with your results as I'm really trying to figure out what parts are going to see large benefits and which are not.

I know it would be very time consuming to replace the pipes, but it wouldn't cost anything for a semi-skilled diy-er. Oldbooser (Larry Owens) had the pipes made and saw great results at the dragstrip after installing them. If I remember correctly he saw almost a half second gain a quarter mile runs.

1/4 mile means nothing with all other variables involved. Where does he have a dyno graph back to back that shoes the difference? If that's the kind of data that is being used to support performance gains, than someone needs to take a crash course on how to do R&D testing.

I previously had a BMS tuning gauge for my JB3, and logged Air intake temps with my BT with the stock CAI and DCI's. The temps were almost identical. The only explanation that makes sense is:

a.) The difference in temps between the stock CAI and an open element system is negligible as the inter-cooler is what is responsible for cooling the intake charge after the turbos.

b.) the increased efficiency of the turbos with the intake has caused the temps to stay the same.

The simplistic equation for making power on a boosted car is Boost+Timing+AFR=hp/tq, and my timing logs were the same after as well, so people running an open intake should see no downside to it. I'm really interested in what data has shown a closed intake to be superior.
The information you're providing here is absolutely false and again based on assumption. I'd really like for you to explain to everyone here how running anything bigger than 1.45" in diameter will help increase airflow to the stock turbos, when the max compressor cover inside diameter is 1.45" at the compressor wheel inducer? We know this information because we've done the R&D and the math. It's obvious you're basing your informtaion on speculation and not real proof or data. The engineers at BMW specifically designed the intake system to support VE at the compressor inducer.

We have done over 150 passes on the dyno with our turbo upgrades with all three intake designs we've discussed and non of them supported the power of our intake. Shiv has posted all the dyno graphs and has openly discussed this before on previous threads. I really have a hard time understanding how you can question our data and dyno graphs when your information about choke point and piping diameter come from pure guesswork and speculation.

We have openly stated here on the boards that we are more than willing to back up our claims for stock turbo applications and will post all datalogs and dyno graphs.
Appreciate 0