Thread: Lag or No Lag
View Single Post
      09-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

OP, theres an obvious reason why the n55 had "less lag".... Single Twin Scroll Turbo!!! This helps to spool the turbo faster than our single scroll turbochargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
There is lag, no question. Just less than in most turbo motors.
+1.

In all honesty people..... What the heck do you expect!!?!?!?!

You have a car with an engine powered by turbines which make this power how? By using exhaust gas to spool the turbos thousands of times per minute. And how might we ask do they get the exhaust air to create this power?? By you Pressing the Gas pedal!!!!!

Not only does the car have to wait for your lead foot to hit the pedal, it has to tell the computer you pressed the pedal, rev the engine up, go through the 4 cycles of combustion, and upon exhaust, spin the exhaust turbine, which spins the intake turbine, which then starts to pressurize air from the air intake, push that air out around the engine, through the intercooler, up the POS charge pipe, through the intake manifold, through the engine head, and into 6 piping hot cylinders. God forbid the factory setup have .01 seconds of "lag"!!! Think about the physical footage a molecule of air needs to travel to make it from the outside of the engine intake, all the way to the cylinder.

SMH

If you care that much about "lag" then why are you driving a Forced Induction vehicle? Sure there are ways to dramatically reduce this effect, but the only way to completely eliminate it is to remove those bite sized power boosters.

I love my M, but our cars have tiny baby sized turbos. Could you imagine the conversation that would take place if we were driving Subaru's and other cars which actually have a respectably larger (stock or aftermarket) turbocharger in them? I dont understand all the bitching about lag... It's getting old....

and FWIW my 1M is a year old in in 23 days so!!
end rant

Last edited by firechicken99; 09-24-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0