View Single Post
      12-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Integration is indeed an issue with 3rd party "fixes". The flash2pass is well integrated, you attach a transmitter to the headlight circuit and it resides under the hood. My GPS now sits on a bracket I made (on the left of the gauges) but initially was on a bracket sold by BMW (on the right). Wires are in the dash and come out under the hood over the gauges. It is far from as integrated as the iDrive but not nearly as clumsy as a unit stuck on the windshield with a wire coming from the cigarette lighter socket. I am giving up some appearance for cost but I am not giving up functionality. The Garmin is more capable than the iDrive from what I read and I have lifetime maps on it (for about $75 one time for 3-4 updates a year). Feedback from callers on the bluetooth is mainly positive. I also play MP3s from it on trips. I have a aux cord coming from the GPS through the dash and console to the aux port in the console.

Jim