07-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
raposka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i, 6MT, LSD, DISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
Ok thanks fellas. I will the PB blaster a shot, and if I cant get them off I'll just send the mid pipes back. I am willing to accept that the project isn't for me.

The threads on the bolt look pretty bad, I'm certain I'll just have to replace it.

Do you know if the gasket between the flanges is reusable? It didn't even occur to me to order one. It would be this one:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-128...npipe/ES39474/
Don't give up. This is a fairly easy project, and you should not have any problems. Even in the worst case, you could drill the bolt out. But, more than likely, any of the good suggestions you received here should work like a charm.

I really liked the dry ice suggestion, but I seriously doubt that penetrating oil and heat will not do the trick. Just get a propane plumber's torch at Home Depot or Lowe's. This is a good tool to have around to heat up rusted bolts and nuts.

Now, keep in mind that things may take longer than you expect. Be prepared to let your car sit while you regroup, get parts, etc. Don't start on a Sunday afternoon if you need to drive the car to an important meeting on Monday morning. Better yet, buy the new bolts ahead of time, and just plan to replace them. That's what I have done.

I am really interested to hear an update on your project. I bought the same Super Sprint secondary cat-delete pipes a while ago, when they were on sale with free shipping. They have been sitting in my shop next to the Magnaflow exhaust system I bought. I also have the bolts, nuts, and new gaskets waiting. I plan to install both of these in the winter months, when I get bored. In the mean time, I am enjoying driving my car in the short U.P. summer.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0