09-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #22
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Success, of sorts.

So I ordered a second pair of wires from ECS Tuning a week or two ago - it turns out they're used somewhere in the foglight assembly, and the connector is too large to fit in the 12-pin headlight socket housing, and the wire itself is noticeably thicker. But I kept them around, just in case.

Then, while I was searching around for a replacement cap for one of my headlight sockets, I stumbled upon this: a repair kit for said socket housing, which includes not only a replacement socket and cap, but also several metal connectors and a bunch of those rubber insulating plugs. I went ahead and ordered it, since I needed the cap anyway, and figured I could use the metal connectors with the wires I mentioned above to make my own jumper cable that would be guaranteed to fit.

Well, it was a good theory. I fabbed the cable okay, but for whatever reason I just cannot get the connector to seat properly and positively engage the socket housing. It's just loose in there, and does not make a connection as intended. And I know I have the exact right connectors, since it was part of that kit (it turns out they are the same type of connectors I tried the first time around, too).

I finally gave up and clipped the connectors off, stripped off some of the jacket, and shoved exposed copper wire into the socket housing. As soon as I did it, I knew it would work - I could feel the wire "click" into place as it engaged the metal contact inside. I backed the wire up a little so that it wasn't sticking out too much on the other end, and tried to shove the rubber insulating plug into the housing enough to keep the wire from moving around. Soldered the other end and taped everything up and voilą:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 13016
Size:  356.7 KB

I'm not thrilled that I wasn't able to use the actual metal connector as designed, but the thicker wire I used felt pretty darn snug in the socket housing, plus it has the rubber plug to hold it in place, so hopefully it works out. I will probably obsessively check the connection every other week or so until I'm satisfied it's okay, or I'll dig into the repair kit again and try to get the connector to work, I don't know (I just don't get why it won't fit!). Either way, I'm happy enough for now.
Appreciate 1