View Single Post
      12-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
rad21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti
i've given up on trying to fix smaller rattles coming from the dash but this one is really bugging me. i get a cracking/popping noise that comes from the rear parcel shelf area while driving. it almost sounds as if something's gonna crack due to pressure.

it usually happens when i go over larger bumps and up driveways and is especially bad when i drive the car out at noon when it's hot (I assume it's due to the sudden temperature change since the car is cold when parked in the garage).

i took it in to the dealer a few weeks ago to no avail. i actually drove the service advisor around the block and sadly it only happened once when he was there. a few days later, lo and behold, they told me they could not duplicate the problem but it's still there, especially when i first drive off. does anyone know what i'm talking about and has anyone had this fixed successfully either by the dealer or themselves?
I think I know what you are talking about. I hear the same sound occasionally and I think it is the power rear sunshade. Do you have the sunshade too? It seems that the popping and cracking noises along with other rattles are, as you said temperature related. Since there are so many different materials in the car(plastic, metal, rubber, leather, etc), each material has a different coefficient of thermal expansion, which mean they all expand and contract at a different rate, so the noises occur. I noticed that once the temperature in the car stabilizes(take car out of garage, drive around, park in the sun for a while)the noises pretty much go away since all the various materials expand and stabilize. Even though the popping noise still occurs, it is much less frequent and less noticable. Since I ordered the rear sunshade and it comes with the side window manual shades, I accept the fact that this extra plastic is gonna cause more ticking/cracking.