View Single Post
      09-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #68
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
OP, I was in a very similar situation to you just a few weeks ago. I owned a 2006 GTI DSG, albeit not chipped. I test drove a lot of cars, including a 128i 6MT and step, and of course the 135i DCT and 6MT. From a chassis perspective, I felt like all of the 1-series had a very similar character. Coming from a GTI, I don't think I'd own a 1-series without a sport package, and for me, the step just wasn't acceptable. I've always owned manuals, but went with DSG in the GTI. I drove it in M mode more than I did D or S. It was responsive, but no computer can read your mind. If you're a "driver", I can't imagine you'll find the Steptronic acceptable.

As far as performance, it's all been said. The 128i and GTI are similar on paper. IMO, the GTI feels a little bit more nimble in every day driving. When you really push it, the 128i feels better because of the better balance and RWD platform. The big "in your face" difference for me was the difference between NA and turbocharged engines. The torque swell of the 2.0T makes the GTI feel faster around town. The 128i revs like my old VR6 GTI though. Both have their ups and downs.

In the end, the 128i just felt like too much of a lateral move when coming from a GTI. The 135i delivered where the GTI just fell apart: raw power. The N54/N55 feels fantastic in every situation. The choice between 6MT and DCT comes down to your use-case/preference.

One thing I can tell you is that you should definitely run numbers on both the 128i + sport versus a basic 135i. The 135i comes with the sport suspension by default, so you don't need it to compare to a 128i + sport directly. Both cars have great residuals (above 60%) and favorable finance rates through BMW. When you look at the final lease payments, you'll find that the difference isn't that significant.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0