View Single Post
      03-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #78
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Revisit

Hey was not really happy with the placement or results of my DIY Shadow...(see above)
So I decided to give it another try.
I feel the above dimention of 23.5 mm from bottom of lip puts emblem too high. I believe it's more like 20mm.
I dectect this because if you look at OM numbers they are a drop higher than the middle horizonal line of the trunk roundell.
Since I have debadeged I did it a bit different...
I took a piece of painters tape and placed it exactally vertically (used level) from outer edge of 3rd brake light down so I knew where to start letters.
I used another piece of painters tape, placed it on my desk, and drew a straight horizontal line on it 20mm from bottom of tape.
Then I smeared glue stick stuff above the line area.
I placed and spaced the numbers on painters tape similar to above dimentions but let my eye make the final precise adjustments.
I then took a piece of clear packing tape and pressed it against the topside of the letters and then peeled the letters off the painters tape...
the packing tape is stronger than the glue stick stuff.
Then I used a razor blade to cut the piece of painters tape where I drew the line. Obviously cut the tape while OFF the car!
Used a level to place that tape on car straight and level.
Then finally stripped backside adhesive covering off letters and was able to perfectly place and apply above the painters tape, press letters on, and peel away packing tape. The adhesive on the letters is stronger than the packing tape, but peel packing tape off at a sharp angle so you dont pull numbers off car.

Think the results were much better, more professional,and more OEM than previously done

Btw, notice the upside down reflection of my 325 in photo!

Last edited by Midgad; 03-31-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0