06-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #117
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Was your car ever rear ended? Wreck ? I guess you could always buy some foam tape at any hardware store and use that to layer up more foam so it seals better.

You can also buy the foam seal separately from bmw...

p/n 63217303319
p/n 63217303320

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...63&fg=20&hl=32
No, the car has never been involved in a collision. I might have inadvertently referenced the wrong "seal" in my original post. The issue is not with the foam seals behind the taillight assemblies, it is the integrated rubber seals that divert water from the longitudinal trunk lid channels over the top of the taillight assemblies. It is almost as if the seals were improperly manufactured and lacking a small amount of interference fit molded into their shape.

I loosened all mounting nuts this afternoon and confirmed that even maximum available rotation on the Y axis doesn't allow the seals to come even close to seating properly. I took some photos after putting it all back together.

I'm not sure what I could be overlooking. These assemblies really only fit one way, and once install and tighten the nuts while maintaining consistent gaps around the exterior of the taillights, the seals pretty much sit where they are going to sit.
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0