View Single Post
      08-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #22
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Not sure how many of you guys remember, but Justin's car did about 350kW ATW quite some time back with basically the same mods on the same dyno. A 5kW difference is within the realm of differences due to atmo conditions, tyres/wheels etc. I am quite impressed with the consistency. We now have a recipe for making around 350kW ATW (on this dyno), and there is every chance that just about any N54 with the same mods would do the same thing.

Having spent some time on the dyno with Justin's car, and seeing the boost curve on this dyno chart, the RB turbos are only really good for about 18psi up top (which is better than the 15psi of stock turbos). You could make more midrange power and higher torque by running 20+ at 3-5000RPM, but once above about 5000RPM, the RB turbos run out of puff in my experience. I do find it amusing that some people talk about running a different MAP sensor with RB turbos to run >23psi expecting to make rediculous power levels. It aint gonna happen!! The RB turbos are a good thing for sure, but just manage expectations. In my experience they are good for another 40kW or so on top os what stock turbos do.
100% bang on
Appreciate 0