View Single Post
      11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #47
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Matt,

Your argument amounts to saying that in deep snow you want to drive on top of it so you don't high center your car (pack enough snow under you to lift the wheels off the pavement). The problem with that argument is the traction you will get with any tire on snow if too close to zero. With studs you can grip ice somewhat but you can never get much traction on snow. I am using absolutes which means you can come up with an example that is inconsistent with this but the principle is still correct, you do not want to count on your car going and braking based upon your traction pushing against snow. Hard packed and a little frozen may not work too bad but loose stuff is just going to move. I don't think you can count on every stretch being hard packed and frozen.

I haven't driven in Syracuse as much as you but I am sure I've driven in as much deep snow as you given the large difference in our ages. If you want to try this, it may work out OK for you but it won't be because wider tires are better. It will be because the relative difference we are all talking about isn't that great. You will be a little worse off with wider tires but only a little. So you will probably be fine. Your wider snow tires will still have more traction than my narrower all seasons, in other words.

Jim