View Single Post
      03-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I also went Schwaben and 2L of Motul 600. I'll do a detailed write up when I get around changing the fluid.

Thanks- this is helpful info. So do you periodically fill the reservoir while bleeding? Trying to visualize (having never done this) what you're describing above.
The bleeder is designed to be filled with brake fluid. After you screw the bleeder cap onto the brake fluid reservoir, you pressurize it (about 10 psi) and the reservoir is filled with fresh fluid from the bleeder as the old fluid is pushed out a caliper bleed valve.

At the end of it you are left with a messy bleeder bottle with nasty brake fluid etc ... and this requires some degree of cleanup with isopropyl alcohol and what not.

I also use JimD's technique, where I just pressurize the brake bleeder but don't fill it with fluid. As the reservoir empties, you have to make sure that you don't push air through an empty reservoir. So as the reservoir gets low, you have to depressurize, unscrew the bleeder, refill the reservoir with fresh fluid, and then repressurize the bleeder. It's a bit more cumbersome but there's zero cleanup at the end and seems a bit more environmentally friendly, which I prefer.

A couple of caveats: 1. Make sure you thread the bleeder cap securely to the brake fluid reservoir. Otherwise there will be a leak. Worst case scenario is you pressurize and the cap pops off, spewing caustic brake fluid everywhere. Caveat #2 -- If you are going to use JimD's method to flush your clutch fluid, keep an eagle eye on the reservoir level. The clutch siphons off fluid pretty high up on the reservoir, so you'll entrain air even if the reservoir looks full.
Appreciate 0