01-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTribe View Post
I'm prepared to get flamed on this one, but I've been reading threads for a couple hours and can't find a definitive answer...

Why did BMW use the N54 in the 1M and not the N55?

I read through a mess of threads and speculation ranged anywhere from not having enough time to develop the N55, to the N54's two turbos being superior as horsepower goes up, to wanting to get more life out of existing tooling with the N54...

Seems the N55 being lighter would have been an advantage, and the power isn't much more than either the 135's N54 or N55 anyway. Just curious.

Apologies if I missed the juicy thread on the topic!
You can find the juicy thread somewhere, can't remember where, but the word is that they have problem with the N55 valvetronic. It would have been posted by Scott. As it was supposed to have a trick turbo setup (probably with CCM), we assumed it had issues with the turbo and it needs more time for the engineer to sort this out. The next M3 is rumoured to have this engine.

N55 like the N54 also has an all aluminium block unlike the N52/3 which has the aluminium-magnesium alloy block. So, N54 won't be more robust as such, but it's just more tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTribe View Post
There was some confusion in another thread about a couple things:

- Valvetronic with the N54 in the 1M
--> A couple authoritative-sounding folks said no valvetronic in the N54 in the 1M despite the rumors/misunderstanding.

- TwinPower labeled on the N54 like the N55, instead of TwinTurbo
--> BMW marketing is apparently using "TwinTurbo" as a general moniker for turbo technology in both the current N54s and N55s
N54 has no valvetronic while N55 does. TwinPower Turbo is now used to describe both twin turbo and twinscroll turbos in their latest marketing, including the 1M.
Appreciate 0