09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I think I could describe the "lag" in my 1M exactly the way you just described it, it is a tiny but noticeable spot just after your initial touch to the accelerator and after that the surge comes. I mostly had NA cars before and the one I liked (enginewise) was the 2006 330i (Eurospec.) M Sport manual. That car had a more instant throttle response than the 1M but not too different after that initial lag of the 1M. I suppose some well received tunes like Evolve and GIAC are fixing this issue and making the car smoother way down the power band.

If I could change one thing in the 1M at the time of its development I would go for this particular point since I like to use the car in default mode (non M, non Sport mode) which I find it more natural in most of the daily driving. Others who drive their cars only on track or spirited rides may notice this less maybe. I drive mine relatively lazy at least 1/3 of the time. And as a consequence my actual and planned mods are targeting better throttle response and traction rather than more power or better performance numbers. I have now N55 mids and Evolve Race exhaust with stock DPs and I can say it is better. I have hopes from ER charge pipe and maybe an intake too, but I am still considering those.

Another observation: Both the "stock" drone and this petit lag seem to drive us out of a pale, unwanted zone, like get out of here, pass and start driving the car properly! I like to think it that way and take it as part of car's strong personality
I've had my car for 6 weeks and I'm still in the breaking in period. Been driving up to 4500 RPM and the first mods I installed were the ER charge pipe and AFE stage 2 . I can honestly tell you I feel an immediate improvement in throttle response compared to stock. Thinking of adding Evolve tune soon and to install my Mad dad mids and Borla as soon as I ship them here.
Appreciate 0